Saturday, February 4, 2012

interviews

I think of myself as an uber person reader when interviewing someone. I take note of every little detail and specifically face and hands. I remember to this day what people I have hired were wearing on the first and second interviews. (I creeped some employees out with this very stalker-ish knowledge) So here are some tips for those who are about it interview from the most critical interviewer out there.

Clean hands, neat nails. Men, CUT YOUR FINGERNAILS. You can tell a lot about a person from their hands. Don't say to a possible future employer that you are lazy by the way your hands look. And I have to shake that hand of yours, don't make me be thinking about finding my purell during the interview. (I may have a bit of a phobia touching people, but not confirmed.)

Moisturize. No ashiness. Elbows especially. On men especially.

Ladies, firm handshake please. Listen, we live in 2012, none of this wilted hand crap. Get some balls. For an upper management position, a weak, kiss-my-hand type of handshake will 100% not get you the job.

No cleavage. Especially ladies with the big breasteses. Also, if you are well endowed, please don't rest your breasts on the table. Yes, it has happened and yes it is really distracting and not in a good way.

Dress appropriately for the weather. In Texas, interviewing in the summer is a pain in the ass. Wearing a suit in 100 degree heat is not fun. But I understand, we are not all P-Diddy and have the funds to go buy a white linen suit. Take your jacket off and drape it over your arm. Wear a white button down. It will not show sweat as easily as a blue oxford. But for the love of god, don't keep your jacket on if you are sweating like a pig.

Clean up your facebook (do it soon before timeline takes into effect!) or any social media site you frequent. I will look you up. I will find the naked picture of you with side boob. I will see that all you do is get high all weekend. I will find out that you like Nickleback.

Don't cry. I for some reason have had many interviewees cry on me. Maybe it's just me. But I have never brought back someone who got emotional in an interview with me. (I may just be a cold hearted bitch but it really is off putting even if you are very passionate about something)

I will continue to post more as time goes on. These have been the sore thumbs for me in any interview process.

Masami

No comments:

Post a Comment